USATF Pacific Coaching News & Information
Long time East Bay coach Peter Brewer 2021 recipient for Legacy Coaching Award
nominate for a coach for 2022 by emailing Dave Shrock
In-Person Level 1 Schools are returning!
One of the nation’s first in-person Level 1 will be offered 23-24 July before the National JO’s at Sac State. Click here for info
Our regular Pacific Association Level 1 offered 14-15 January’23 during the MLK weekend has yet to be determined if it will be on-line or in person. Click here for the national schedule of schools: https://www.usatf.org/programs/coaches/coaching-education
Level 2 Schools
USATF Coaching Education will resume in-person Level 2’s this summer at Indianapolis’s Butler Univ. 19-22 July with full offerings in endurance, sprint/hurdles, jumps, throws, and youth specialization groups. Register before your event group fills! Click here for info
- August 6, 2022: Shannon Rowbury Women & Coaches Clinic in SF
- We are trying to find a site for the 2023 Athletic.net SuperClinic…stay tuned!
USATF Level 1 Recertification Application Update:
Current certified Level 1 coaches must complete a USATF approved continuing education course each renewal period (in accordance with the schedule below) to maintain certification. Members may verify their certificate expiration date by accessing a copy on USATF Campus (certificates are available under Transcripts). If you posses a Level 2 or 3, you do not need to renew your Level 1.
July 1, 2019 – December 31, 2020 (waiver period) December 31, 2024
- A Level 1 certificate issued prior to December 31, 2012 is no longer current, and coaches will need to register and attend a new Level 1 School to attain certification
- Members who completed a Level 1 during the waiver period do not need to take any action until the next recertification period
- Level 2 and 3 coaches remain exempt from recertification and no action is necessary
The following are approved by the USATF Coaching Education Committee and qualify for Level 1 recertification:
- Complete a minimum of one online course on USATF Campus
- Complete a minimum of one USATF specialty course or clinic
- USATF Learn By Doing Clinic (2017)
- USATF Cross Country Specialist Course
- USATF Emerging Elite Coaches Camp
- Complete a new USATF Level 1 School and pass the exam
No credit will be provided for any course completed prior to Level 1 certificate date and the Olympic quad start (January 1, 2017).
At time of renewal, USATF membership and SafeSport Training must be current to access the recertification application.
(Late) Application Instructions
You must complete all the steps below to recertify as a Level 1 Coach.
- Renew USATF membership for 2022
- Complete latest SafeSport Training
- Complete an approved recertification course
- Submit recertification application and late processing fee ($55)
Late Level 1 Recertification will continue for a limited time. The on time recertification deadline expired on January 31, 2021.
- You must complete steps 1-3 before accessing the recertification application
- Please do not email copies of your certificates unless requested
- Please allow five business days for application verification
- Upon approval, your new certificate will be awarded on USATF Campus and valid until December 31, 2024
- For additional guidance, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) resource
USATF has joined the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) to implement the SafeSport program. The goal of SafeSport is to provide a safe environment in our sport at all levels, but particularly for athletes who are ages 18 and under. The SafeSport program includes athlete protection policies, guidelines, codes of conduct, a background screening program, education and training, and a reporting process for any SafeSport concerns within our sport.
- All Officials and Youth Club Coaches and Volunteers will need to complete the SafeSport Program.
- Youth Coaches must meet this requirements before your club’s membership will be approved and activated in the USATF system for 2016, and beyond.
- SafeSport became a requirement of the Coaches Registry as of January 1, 2016, and all certification is good until 31 December, 2020.
- To complete the free, 90 minute, on-line USATF SafeSport Training course, click here.
- Click here for the current list of those who have cleared the NCSI background screen and SafeSport Training checks.
USOC Coach Magazine: Free e-zine resource for all coaches with informative articles on training and peripheral considerations common amongst all Olympic sports.
Techniques Magazine: A great free quarterly e-zine from the collegiate USTFCCCA with informative article on all aspects of our sport.
speedendurance.com: An excellent information website with well researched articles on a broad variety of topics.
Coaching Athletics: Free e-zine devoted solely to coaching our sport with feature articles and training tips
Click here for a free USOC 30min webinar on how to coach youth athletes
Click Here for Chabot College/Level 1 coaching resources
Click here for link to Sports Hope Foundation which helps high school and community college student athletes find pathways to four year colleges and universities.
Click here for survey on high school/Youth coaches survey regarding USATF-Pacific services conducted by HS-Youth SubCommittee Chair Jennifer Oliver in Spring, 2016.