Check back frequently as we continue to add helpful viewing tips and the latest news about our PA Olympic athletes at Rio! If you have a news article, video, or photo to post here, please send the link and details to the pausatf.org Content Manager.
- Kate Grace quote about her 8th place finish in the 800m Finals.
- PA’s Kate Grace advances to 800m finals! Read more…
- Check PA’s Facebook page for the highlights – Shannon Rowbury 4th in the 1500m Final, Kim Conley 23rd in 5K Round 1.
- Shannon Rowbury – Women’s 1500m Final tomorrow, Aug. 16 6:30 p.m. Pacific
- Kim Conley – Women’s 5000m Round 1 tomorrow, Aug. 16 5:30 a.m. Pacific; Runner’s World background article
- W1500m Semis: PA’s Shannon Rowbury (San Francisco) bided her time in the first semifinal, tucking into the middle of the pack in the first two laps. Sitting 8th with the bell lap approaching, Rowbury made her move with 300m to go, riding the shoulder of Ethiopia’s Sado and passing her around the curve to comfortably finish third in a season’s best 4:04.46. In her first Olympic semifinal, Brenda Martinez (Rancho Cucamonga, California) finished 12th in 4:10.41.
- Shannon Rowbury and Jenny Simpson quietly gain the women’s 1,500 final courtesy of OregonLive.com
- Team USA women’s marathoners turn in best team finish in history as Flanagan sets record
- Track & Field events begin 5:30 am Friday 8/12!
- Complete NBC Viewing Information courtesy of George Kleeman
- NBC Track & Field Live Streaming Link
- UC Berkeley Sending 50 Athletes to Rio – most of any university!
SPECIAL ROAD to RIO 2016 U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials Section
June 30 -July 10
Be sure to visit the PA’s Facebook page for breaking news.
- NBC Online Coverage
- NBC Broadcast Schedule
- Event Schedule
- Live Results
- USATF 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials Page
- News & Stories
- Day 10 (Final Day – July 10; check back soon for reports, interviews, photos):
- Kim Conley’s 5K Review, in-depth story by Bob Burns
- The final day of the Olympic Team Trials was held under overcast skies, though several association athletes shown brightly.
- Kim Conley (Sacramento) coached by husband Drew Wartenburg with the Nor-Cal Distance Project punched her ticket to her second Olympics finishing third in the W5000m finals (15:10.62). Jordan Hasay (San Luis Obispo) was 12th in 15:51.68. Sara Hall (Redding) finished 13th (15:51.68).
- Shannon Rowbury (San Francisco) nabbed second in the 1500m finals running 4:05.39 behind Jenny Simpson.
- In the Women’s 200m Jeneba Tarmoh (San Jose) finished 8th in 23.72, with Clovis’s Jenna Prandini finished 3rd edging out Allyson Felix for the last Rio berth.
- Day 9 (July 9): Day 9 Quick Facts
- Day 8 (July 8):
- Bouts of rain caused suspension of the women’s vault qualifying, but did not dampen the spirits of the athletes and the 22,356 spectators.
- In the Women’s 200 semi’s Jeneba Tarmoh (San Jose) qualified on to Saturday’s finals with a time of 22.02, while Chorondra Williams (formerly at Laney College) did not with a time of 23.59.
- In the women’s 1500 semis Shannon Rowbury (San Francisco) claimed second place behind Jen Simpson with a mark of 4:10.09; Stanford’s NCCA runner up Elise Cranny (Colorado) did not move on with a 4:14.10.
- Day 7 (July 7):
- Californians at the Trials Day 7 Summary by Mark Winitz, courtesy of RunBlogRun.com.
- More Day 7 Factoids!
- Women’s 5000m Prelims: photos, stories, videos
- Summary by Dave Shrock, USATF Pacific President
Rain greeted day seven of the Trials though did not dampen performances of many PA athletes.
Women’s 5000m preliminaries qualifiers: Jordan Hasay (San Luis Obispo) 15:34.50; Kim Conley (Sacramento) 15:40.04; Sara Hall (Redding) 15:42.70. Kaitlin Gregg-Goodman (Davis) 16:07.92 did not qualify. Women’s 5,000m Final is on Sunday at 4:28 pm.
Women’s Javelin preliminaries (non-qualifiers): Mackenzie Little (Stanford/Australia, though US citizen) 51.52 (169-00); Channing Wilson (CSU Stanislaus/Turlock) 50.24 (164-10).
Women’s Shot Put Final: 1) Michelle Carter (born San Jose) 19.59(64-03.25); 5) Jill Camarena-Williams(Woodland) 18.81 (61-08.50).
Women’s 1500m preliminaries qualifiers: Shannon Rowbury (San Francisco) 4:17.80; Elise Cranny (Stanford/Colorado) 4:23.59. Women’s 1500m Final is Sunday at 5 pm.
- 37 first time Olympians selected for Team USA thus far.
- 21,835 spectators on day seven with light rain forecast into Friday.
- For those of you in Eugene, the free WildDuck morning clinics continue with Jeremy Fischer at 8:30am. Don’t miss hearing from one of America’s top jumps coaches and recent recipient of the USOC Doc Counsilman Award.
- Day 6 (July 6): Hammer – click here for results
- Day 5 (July 5):
- USATF Super Clinic Day and a rest day for the athletes.
- Day 4 (July 4):
- Cale Simmons (Rocklin, CA) feature following his achievement as a Team USA Pole Vault member, by Bob Burns
- Kate Grace Interview following her 800m victory, by Bob Burns
- LetsRun.comYouTube Interview with Kate Grace
- PA’s Kate Grace WINS 800m in a dramatic thrills & spills race.
- PA-connected Garrett Heath qualifies to advance in 5000m.
- Day 3 (July 3):
- Californians at the Trials Day 3 Summary by Mark Winitz, courtesy of RunBlogRun.com.
- Paaso and Davey win the Women’s and Men’s Exhibition Masters 1500m!
- Day 2 (July 2):
- Californians at the Trials Day 2 Summary by Mark Winitz, courtesy of RunBlogRun.com.
- In depth interviews by Bob Burns with Stephanie Brown Trafton & Kim Conley about their Day 2 events.
- Stephanie places 5th in Discus Final.
- 10,000m: Kim Conley (Sacramento) DNF; Jordan Hasay (SLO hometown) 9th in 32:43.43; Kaitlin Gregg Goodman (Davis hometown) 11th in 32:55.21; Chelsea Sodaro (Bay Area TC) 19th in 34:22.31; Alia Gray (Santa Rosa hometown) DNF. 5K Prelim is scheduled for July 7 at 4:20 pm.
- The Men’s 800m saw a respectable finish from CSU Stanislaus’s Abraham Alvarado in 1:48.41 missing the finals, while Stanford’s Olivia Baker finished 10th in the women’s Semis.
- Day 1 (July 1):
- Californians at the Trials Day 1 Summary by Mark Winitz, courtesy of RunBlogRun.com.
- Stephanie Brown Trafton nails the #2 qualifying throw in Discus Prelims. Elena Bruckner (Christian HS, San Jose), one of the record number of high school athletes competing in the Trials, did not advance (see USA Today article by Fred Baer).
- Brendan Gregg (Davis hometown) finished 8th in the 10,000m in 28:56.23; German Fernandez (Riverbank hometown) DNFed.
- Day “0”: Race Walk: PA’s Robyn Stevens places 11th in 20K Race Walk, in spite of a calf injury. CLICK HERE for “In her own words…”. She’ll be back!
- PA’ers in Masters Exhibition 1500m Races at Trials on Sunday
- In-depth Recap of the 2012 Trials Women’s 5000m
- Sacramento Running Assoc. Oly Hopefuls
USATF Olympic TF Trials Homepage
- Qualifying Standards (Trials, Olympics)
- 2016 U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials – June 30-July 10, 2016
- PA Elite Athlete Page
- Team USA News
- Follow Stephanie Brown Trafton (Discus)
- Follow Shannon Rowbury (1500m)
- Follow Kim Conley (5,000m & 10,000m)
- Follow Chelsea Reilly Sodaro (5,000m & 10,000m)
- Pacific Association USATF Foundation’s 2016 Olympic Trials Training Grants Information and Application; deadline was Feb.1.
- 2016 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials – Saturday, Feb. 13, 2016
- How the Californians Fared at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials by Mark Winitz
- Rupp victorious in debut, Cragg runs for redemption at U.S. Olympic Marathon Team Trials
- Press Conference Quotes – U.S. Olympic Marathon Team Trials
- Flash Quotes – U.S. Olympic Marathon Team Trials
- TV Broadcast Information
- Runners World Guide to the Marathon Trials
- 2016 World Indoors Track & Field Championships (March 17-20, 2016) – articles by Mark Winitz, posted courtesy of RunBlogRun.com
- Native Californian Rowbury Lands Bronze on Day Four of IAAF World Indoor Championships.
- California Pilgrim Boris Berian Wins 800m Gold on Day Three of IAAF World Indoor Championships.
- Californians Advance and Medal on Day Two of IAAF World Indoor Championships.
- Californians Win and Advance on Day One of U.S. Indoor Championships.