Is it a USATF club in good standing? Have the coaches passed the proper background screening that ensures they are safe to be around youth athletes? Has practice insurance been secured? Are you a USATF member? Why should you care?
The Pacific Association (PA) / USATF wants to ensure that youth athletes are provided the best training in the safest environments. To do so clubs competing in our Association are expected to adhere to a high set of standards. Here is how you can check on your club:
- PA Club Listing (http://www.pausatf.org/indexclubsa.php) … this is a quick reference section to identify which clubs have paid their 2009 membership fees and sent in all the appropriate paperwork
- Coach’s Background Screening (http://www.pausatf.org/data/2009/ybckchks.html) … any adult who has direct interaction with a youth athlete on a USATF club is required to participate in a California Department of Justice and FBI background screen check. Once a coach has been screened the coach must wear at all practices and competitions their current USATF badge and their LiveScan badge that includes a picture. If your coach isn’t wearing one … ask him/her why? This is a USATF mandatory rule … it ensures your child is safe with this adult … a coach / parent volunteer should wear their badge with pride
- Practice Insurance (http://www.pausatf.org/pdf/SanctionInsBrochure.pdf) … is only available to USATF members assigned to the club where they are practicing. Ensure your club has insurance before you practice
- USATF Membership (http://www.pausatf.org/data/members.php) … did you know that as a member of USATF you receive a running magazine at your home every other month? You are also privileged to use a broad spectrum of discounts to hotels, rental cars and airfare. Before you step onto the track for your first practice you should join USATF to gain all the benefit privileges that membership has to offer. Most importantly though … membership in a certified club ensures you have insurance coverage during your practices and USATF competitions
- Proof of Birth Validation … go to link above for USATF Membership, find your name and look at the 5th column. If the age number is underlined … then the athlete’s proof of birth has been verified in the national USATF membership database. If it is not underlined, send a copy of the birth certificate to the PA office at 120 Ponderosa Ct., Folsom, CA 95630