Welcome to the
USATF PACIFIC ASSOCIATION Officials Section
The Officials Committee of the USATF Pacific is responsible for the recruitment, certification, and training for the Pacific Association as well as keeping a calendar of meets from which officials can choose to work.
The Officials Committee is comprised of volunteer members of the Association whose goal is to make sure the sports of Track & Field, Long Distance Running, Cross-Country, and Race Walk are officiated in a fair and consistent manner. USATF Pacific Officials work everything from youth meets to the Olympics and World Games. Many officials have achieved the highest levels of certification and have traveled the state, the nation, and the world to help officiate at these top-tier events and are rewarded with the best seat in the house.
We will gladly assist you through the steps that you will need to take
in order to become a USATF Pacific Certified Official
2023 Annual Meeting: Sunday, August 27
@ Bruce Edwards Room; UC Davis Health Stadium,
The 2023 PA Officials Annual Meeting will be held Sunday, August 27 in the Bruce Edwards Room at UC Davis Health Football Stadium on the UC Davis campus.
Pre-registration for the meeting will be done online through SIMPLY REGISTER until August 25 at 5 PM.
- Choose IN PERSON option if you plan to attend the meeting
- Choose VIRTUAL option if you will not attend the meeting but want to purchase tickets for the Pacific Foundation raffle
After August 25, you must register in person at the meeting.
- See 2023 Annual Meeting Notice 2023 Annual Meeting Notice
- Registration on SIMPLY REGISTER: Click red text for the Event Registration Form
Steps to Becoming a Certified Official
Once in contact with the Certification Chair and/or the Training Chair you will be directed through a series of steps that will all need to be completed, though not necessarily in the order you see here.
- Become a member of USATF (1-year is $40 and 4-year is $140) Must be 18 or older
- Complete an NCSI Background Check ($22 good for 2-years)
- Complete SafeSport (No cost, full course the 1st year and refreshers for 3 years)
- Attend an Introduction to Track & Field Clinic (no cost)
- Complete a 75-question Rules Review
- Provide a photo for your badge (head and shoulders, no hat, no sunglasses, plain background)
- Provide Emergency Contact Information
- Complete the New Officials Application (Application includes the Code of Ethics and Performance Guidelines)
- Provide your shirt size for your free shirt
The following document will guide you through each of the steps to certification:
January and February are the busiest months for training. That’s when recertification for current officials and most clinics for new officials are held. However, clinics are held throughout the year.
- 2023 Training Schedule: CLICK HERE
Assistance for Officials
REGIONAL RESOURCE COORDINATOR PROGRAM
The USATF Pacific Association is divided in 6 regions. Each region has a Regional Resource Coordinator (RRC) available to all officials in their region for the purpose of providing them information that they may need regarding certification, training, mentors, etc. If you are not sure how to order uniform items or how to use the calendar to sign up for a meet, contact your RRC. Once a new official is certified that official will be contacted by their RRC.
CLICK HERE to be redirected to the Regional Resource Coordinator page.
USATF 2021-23 Pacific Officials’ Committee Officers
|Phil Leake, Chair||John Lilygren, Vice Chair||Tori Busto, Secretary|
|Dr. Leon Glover, Awards||Mike Bower, Past Chairman||Charles Murphy, Calendar|
|Bill Bartel, Training||Ajay Padgaonkar, Certification||Scott Kostka, At Large Rep.|
|Bruce Makinson, At Large Rep.||VACANT, Newsletter||Dennis Boyle, Mentor Chair|
- CLICK HERE to view a list of Pacific Association Officials Committee Chairpersons 1978 – present.
- Tributes to Officials like Jim Hume’s Celebration of Life page may now be found in “Awards/Tributes” right side column Officials Info Links.