Due to the global Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, we can’t conduct official races because we can’t be physically present with certified judges, officials, courses, or timing.
Therefore, we are modifying our traditional USA Track & Field Pacific Association Race Walk Grand Prix Series into something new… Welcome to the “#AloneTogether” version of the COVID-19 VIRTUAL Race Walk Grand Prix Series!
As with our traditional Grand Prix, the first event was the One Mile held in Berkeley earlier this year. The results for that race and the Grand Prix Standings are available (as always) on our website at https://www.pausatf.org/race-walking/
The 3,000-meter race, originally scheduled for May 23, will now be a #AloneTogether COVID-19 VIRTUAL event to be completed any time between May 16 and May 23.
The 5,000-meter race, originally scheduled for May 31, will now be an #AloneTogether COVID-19 VIRTUAL event to be completed any time between May 31 and June 7.
In addition, we’ve added a One Hour #AloneTogether COVID-19 VIRTUAL event to be completed any time between July 4 and July 12.
Relying on guidance from official sources, we will either confirm or change the plans for the 10-kilometer and 20-kilometer race walks currently scheduled for September 27.
#AloneTogether COVID-19 VIRTUAL Event Rules:
- Be SAFE and comply with all federal, state, and local directives and guidance regarding safety related to the Coronavirus COVID-19 global pandemic. Depending where you live, such guidance may include frequency/duration/location of outdoor activities, or the wearing of face coverings.
- Outdoors: Use a certified course or 400-meter track, or measure a new course with GPS. Indoors: Use the Distance reading on a treadmill or your personal GPS set to measure “Indoor” distance.
- Walk ALONE or with members of your own household, keeping at least 6 feet of social distancing from other people at all times.
- Keep your own time and count your own laps.
- Use the honor system (and your imagination) to keep track of judges’ warnings, red cards, penalty time, and umpiring infractions.
- Athletes who live outside the Pacific Association are eligible to participate and receive prizes.
- Prizes (California- and Nevada-shaped rock pins) will be awarded at the luncheon following the 10-km Grand Prix race walk in Carmichael/Sacramento on Sunday, 27 September 2020, to the top three females, top three males, and top three age-graded athletes in each of the contested virtual race walk events. Winners must be present on September 27 to receive their prizes; if a winning athlete is not present, the prize will be given to the next athlete in that category.
Individual Results Reporting:
- Report your individual results to the Race Walk Committee of the USATF Pacific Association no later than one day after the final day of the event.
- [Optional, but fun!] Include a selfie or other photo of yourself participating in the #AloneTogether virtual event. Your photo may be posted along with other virtual race results, including in Pacific Association emails and on the Pacific Association USTAF Race Walk website and Sierra Race Walkers Group page in Facebook.
- Use the Individual Results Report form (LINK), or send the following information in an email to [email protected] (and don’t forget that photo!):
Event Start Time (Time of Day)
Finish Time (HH:MM:SS)
How I Completed the Event SAFELY
Birth Date (MM/DD/YYYY)
Age on Event Date
- By participating in this virtual event you are certifying that you agree with the following statements: “I know that race walking is a potentially hazardous activity. I should not enter and participate unless I am medically able and properly trained. I agree to abide by all federal, state, and local health and safety directives and guidelines related to the Coronavirus COVID-19 and my ability to safely compete in this virtual event. In consideration of the acceptance of my results, I do hereby, for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, or anyone else who might claim on my behalf, waive, release and forever discharge any and all rights and claim for damages which I may have or which may hereafter accrue to me against the Pacific Association, USATF, its board of supervisors, officers, directors, agents, employees and volunteers, the race director and organizers, successors, and/or assigns; from any and all damages which may be sustained and suffered by me in connection with my said participation or arising out of my traveling to, participating in and returning from said event. I certify that the above results are true and correct to the best of my knowledge.”
After the close of the competition period for each event, the Race Walk Committee will summarize and publish the event results and updated Grand Prix Standings.
Have fun and stay safe!
USATF Pacific Association Race Walk Committee Chair
USATF Pacific Association Race Walk Committee 2nd Vice Chair