Who is eligible
- Athletes must be at least 7 years of age or older by December 31 of the current year to compete at the Youth Athletics or Junior Olympic National Championships.
- They must be USATF Pacific Members, unless they do not reside in this area, in which case they must be members on one of the other 57 USATF Associations.
- Athletes who are still eighteen (18) years of age through the final day of the National Junior Olympics Track & Field Championships shall be eligible to compete in the 17-18 year old division through that meet.
- Athletes must compete in their own 2-year age group. These age groups are based on the age the athlete will turn in the year 2019 as described in the chart below.
Age Birth Year
8 & Under: 2011+
9 – 10: 2009-2010
11 – 12: 2007-2008
13 – 14: 2005-2006
15 – 16: 2003-2004
17 – 18: 2001-2002
How to Qualify
Since USATF Pacific is hosting the JO Championships, the Region 16 Qualifying Meets are the only meets required for USATF Pacific athletes to achieve a JO qualifying mark. Those achieving a top 5 place will qualify to compete in the JOs. There are two types of Region 16 Qualifying Meets:
- Single Sport Competition: July 5-7, Modesto JC, Modesto, CA
- Combined Sport Competition: July 13-14, James Logan HS, Union City, CA
Information about these two meets will be posted here as soon as it becomes available. Visit the USATF Pacific’s Youth Track & Field schedule for more meets leading up to the Regionals.
Regional Meets Coordinator: Charlotte Sneed, [email protected], 925-628-0273