So you’re interested in becoming a CERTIFIED USA TRACK & FIELD OFFICIAL?
YOU HAVE QUESTIONS:
What is the first step? If you live in Northern California or certain areas of Nevada, you are a resident of the Pacific Association of USA Track & Field. The Pacific Association Certification Chair is Ajay Padgaonkar. Contact Ajay at [email protected] to have him send you the basic packet to get you started. Or contact Chairman Phil Leake at [email protected].
You may also want to view this information on the USATF website: Certification Levels and Requirements for Advancement.
****What do I do next? Follow the instructions in the CERTIFICATION PROCESS DOCUMENT.****
How soon can I start? Right now, if you wish. Included in the packet is the current Pacific Association Track & Field Schedule of meets and instructional clinics. Choose a clinic (held in January through February) for some insight; choose a track, field, race walking, cross-country, long-distance running, or youth meet, come out, introduce yourself and offer to help on an event you particularly like. You’ll be welcome and will receive on-the-job training!
I’m mainly interested in Race Walking/Youth Athletics/Long-Distance Running. Is certification for me? Yes. Certified officials are involved in every sport and discipline under the aegis of USA Track & Field, and certification programs are available for every one of them.
WHAT WILL YOU GET BACK?
- If you are already helping with your children’s meets, the certification process, and officials’clinics later on, will help you improve your skills.
- If you are a former athlete, officiating will help you keep in touch with our great sport.
- At most meets, the organizers will give you lunch or at least a snack. Most will provide parking; and you can deduct transportation and other costs on your taxes.
- At quite a few meets, the organizers will give you a shirt or hat.
- Mostly, you’ll get the thanks of athletes, coaches, parents, and spectators–and other officials–who know this sport cannot go forward without skilled, dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers.